This tutorial helps you to get starting Wireshark on Mac OS X 10.6.
1. Download Wireshark from www.wireshark.org/download.html.
2. Mount the disk image. As you can see the utilities folder consists three following folders:
- Command Line
- A shortcut ( alias ) to StartupItems floder.
3. Drag Wireshark icon into Applications folder.
4. Open terminal and run the following commands:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
5. In terminal restart the Finder to apply changes by the following command:
Now hidden files or folders get appear to you.
6. Got to the /usr/local/ folder:
Make a bin directory there if the bin is not existed.
sudo mkdir bin
7. Copy the “Command Line” folder contents into the /usr/local/bin directory. Give the password to copy files.
8. Drag ChmoBPF folder into the StartupItems folder. Now you need to give it the permission:
sudo chown -R root:wheel ChmodBPF
Restart your machine. Wireshark is ready to capture network packets.